Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Disoriented

This blog is not finished. So far I have not arrived home yet. My body is spending its first day at our house, but my mind is in limbo. I walk around aimlessly. Well, not totally, I have done tons of loads of laundry and have started on several truffle batches. All the stuff one can do in one's sleep.

I am waiting for my mind to kick in, a very strange state of mind, one I am not familiar with.

I have done some reflecting on our trip. Last night during my shower it occurred to me that I did a lot of complaining about the landscapes we drove through. Now I come to realize it was not the landscape, but the driving. 

Sitting in a car for hours is tedious. On our last leg I got claustrophobic. Imagine sitting in your tiny seat with no leg room in an airplane with the seat of the person in front of you shoved into your face and you are about to be served a dinner you could do without and need to put the tray down. That is how I felt, but instead of the flight taking 11 or 12 hours, it takes days. And instead of walking up and down the aisles of said airplane, you are stuck in your seat. 

I twisted and turned and could not get comfortable anymore toward the end. It was either too hot or too cold, the ac was never just right. Hot flashes were another obstacle to feel comfortable.

Since the landscape did not change much, it offered no diversion. But looking at this landscape from hindsight, it was magnificent. Vast. I kept on wondering why no one settled in these areas, until we hit towns and villages and I wondered why anyone would live there. 

I determined it must be the lack of water. Imagining that water must come from hundred of miles away it makes more ecological sense to settle where the water is.

Following are some pictures from the way back, starting Colorado.

We were promised to see Bighorn Sheep here, but they refused to make themselves visible to us, but it seemed like a great place to be. Houses at the bottom of a mountain and a river.





Time to tackle the garage. I will write again later. This picture uploading is a hassle, but I will keep at it as there are some stuff I still want to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment